Calamity Jane is celebrated because she claimed that she had a relationship with Wild Bill Hickok around the time of his death. Very little proof to back that up.
She did travel for a time with Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West show.
Played in films by Doris Day in 1953, Jane Russell (Paleface in 1948 w/ Bob Hope) and Ellen Barkin in Wild Bill in 1995. Attractive in a certain light.
Carrot Cake was voted the favorite cake of the United Kingdom in 2011.
Although modern variations became popular in the 1960s and we a fad food of the 70s, there are recipes dating back to the Medieval period.
Carrot cake releases more usable beta carotene than raw carrots.
Most recipes have as much sugar as carrots.
Cormorants are fish-eating seabirds that live along the coast of all seven continents. There are over 40 species worldwide.
Although primarily salt-water divers, they are not considered pelagic or ocean crossing but rather as coastal birds. As opposed to frigatebirds and albatross.
Cormorants are fish eaters that dive from the surface of the water and can reach depths of 140 feet.
Florida species include the global Great Cormorants that can be 2-3 feet tall and weigh nearly ten pounds, the double crested and the neotropic cormorants.
Cormorants are relatively easy to spot when performing their wing drying. Their wings are not entirely water-proof so they must dry them in the air between dives in order to fly.
A similar bird that is more common in inland Florida is the Anhinga. The Anhinga is similar, but with a longer neck and smaller body and more pointed beak. If you see a bird with outstretched wings in a small inland pond it is most likely an anhinga. Coastally – it’s more likely a cormorant.
The Galapagos are home to a unique sub species of flightless cormorants.
From 1903 until the 1950s, Cormorants were the hood ornaments for Packard automobiles.
A recent article in National Geographic describes a fishing technique used in China and Japan using cormorants.
A collar is put on the base of the relatively long necks of Great Cormorants and then they are released by their trainer. They dive down and catch fish. The collar allows them to swallow small fish but not larger ones. They swim back to the boat and the trainer removes the fish and sends the Cormorant back into the water.
In Milton’s Paradise Lost Satan first disguises himself as a cormorant.
Cormorants are, in general on the rebound worldwide. They were never a particularly good game bird, but as apex hunter in an oceanic food chain they were subjected to high levels of DDT runoff and the resulting thinner and weaker egg shells.
Ready for the questions?
1) In Europe a common species of the Cormorant is known as which of the following? The Shag, The Hump, The Whoopie Bird, The Ocean Screw
The Shag (about 20 species worldwide are known as shags)
2) Shag carpet is defined by its very deep pile. Carpet-baggers moved from the American NorthEast to the American South following which President’s 4 years and 6 weeks in office?
3) Daniel Day Lewis won a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Drama for his title role in Lincoln. The 2012 film was about the process of getting which number Amendment passed by the US House of Representatives in early 1865?
13th Amendment calling for an end to the institution of slavery.
4) When it finally passed all of its legislative hurdles in December of 1865 the 13th Amendment was the first change to the Constitution since 1803. The Twelve Amendment most changed the way we elected which government office in the Executive Branch?
5) Only Three sitting Vice Presidents have been elected President while they were Vice President. Name them. Clue: Only one has been elected since the Twelve Amendment became law.
John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and George H W Bush. (Vice President actually announced the winner of Electoral College voting as President of the Senate)
6) George H W Bush had been hospitalized since late November for what condition that is signified by an inflammation of the mucous membranes of the lungs. Pneumonia, Bronchitis, Pleurisy.
7) Bronchitis. -itis is the medical suffix that denotes inflammation. (Tonsillitis, appendicitis, colitis) “the Itis” is defined by Urban Dictionary dot com as a general lethargy that typically follows which of the following? A long day of work, heavy drinking, a filling meal, a sexual romp
A filling meal
8) If you wanted to get a filling meal at the event on Sunday billed as “The All American Inaugural Ball” at the Hyatt Regency Capital Hill, how much do think you will pay?
$225 + $14.75 convenience charge -- $239.75 -- Not the real Inaugural Ball – The real one is by invitation only, follows the actual ceremony – which is Monday- and costs $60.
9) The Hyatt Regency in the Orlando area can be found along what Jack Nicklaus designed golf course which was home to the LPGA Championship in 2010? Grand Cypress, Grand Pines, Great Oaks, Great Palm
10) The grandest of cypress died a year ago. January 16th, 2012 The Senator – a 3500 hundred year old pond cypress was burned to a stump in order to provide light for a drug deal. The charred remains can still be seen in what Seminole county park?
Big Tree Park – also home to a 2,000 year old Bald Cypress named Lady Liberty
11) Big Tree Park is part of Spring Hammock Preserve which stretches from Ronald Reagan Boulevard to Lake Jesup. Lake Jesup is a favorite site for eagles and osprey who dive from the air as well as the anhinga and cormorants who dive from the surface. Can you fathom this answer? How deep on average is Lake Jesup (in feet)?
Six feet – one fathom.
District of Columbia
Dewey Decimal System (Melville Dewey)